Saturday, September 14, 2013
Game Day
It is funny isn't it? How much one can really love a team. I mean I couldn't wait for today because it was Saturday and just last week Harper's very first Husker jersey had come in the mail. I couldn't wait to see her in it. Because obviously she is a Husker fan and just doesn't know it yet.
Nebraska of course lost today and I experienced just about every emotion watching the game. This happens most games. It is kind of silly really. I even convince myself that they are winning because I'm not watching. Or that they are going to come from behind because I put my lucky game day hoodie on. Things that do not make a difference in how the play at all. But what can I say? I'm very superstitious.
Growing up in Nebraska we really didn't have anything but the Cornhuskers. No NBA, NFL, NHL, nothing. Just the Huskers and you know what? They are consistently a pretty decent team. Sometimes they even win National Championships. So you grow to love them. You begin talking as though you are on the team.
You fall in love with football. And every season you have high hopes. Some seasons they are exceeded and other seasons those hopes let you down. But Saturday's are still your favorite. Your Husker flag waves on your front porch. You drink your beer out of your Nebraska koozie. Some times you even get to go to a game and tailgate with friends. Or you move to other states and you take them with you-- finding Husker fans in Alabama and Montana.
Win or lose you remain a devoted fan and hope one day your daughter becomes one too. Go Big Red.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ahhh, love college football!! I agree, Saturdays are the best during the fall because they are all about football. Go BIG10..sorry to hear Nebraska lost this weekend.
ReplyDelete