Being a wife, and a mother has been the greatest gift that was ever given to me. It truly is. But as I become immersed in this roll I can't help but feel like something is missing. Like I need more. I need something more for me, or that I need to be more for my family. I don't know what that is though, and that is where my frustration lies. I told my husband tonight that maybe I should finish my degree and he asked me why? I told him that if had my degree, that when people asked our daughters if I went to college they could say yes, she has her business degree. He of course said to me that if that was what I wanted that he would help make that happen. The truth is, that wouldn't make happy. Yes, I would perhaps feel that I didn't waste my time, or my money if I had my degree, but it would not bring me happiness. Not unless that is what I really wanted in this moment. But I don't. And even though I don't have my degree, I wouldn't trade any of my experiences, or any of the knowledge I gained by working towards obtaining it.
But after lunch at the University I cam home and felt sorry for myself, thinking, what do you have to offer? I still honestly can't answer that. but I would like to think that my children are gaining things from me, and that when they tell people about me they will tell them the things I instilled in them. Things that didn't come from a degree.
They will tell them that because of me they appreciate all this world has to offer. That people are beautiful, amazing, and all different. They will tell them they believe in kindness and the goodness of others. They will tell people that they love people, no matter who those people love. They will tell them that our planet is important. That being outside is amazing and that nature is one of the most beautiful gifts that we have been given. They will tell them that they love a certain song because we sang and danced to it in the kitchen, or that a book is their favorite because I read it to them before bed. They will tell their friends that they love the holidays because I made them magical. They will tell them that they know what love is, because they saw that between their father and I. They will tell them they know that things aren't always easy, but lucky for us tomorrow is always a new day. They will tell them that life is about the simple things, and that laughing is their favorite.
You see, I think that I'm not enough some days. But I am. Sure I still feel some emptiness but I'm developing and growing as a person too, just as they are, and I want them to see that. I know someday people are going to ask my children what I do, and they will respond that I'm a mom. Little do they know what that means to my daughters, or just how much strength that word actually holds. To me, just a mom, means the world, and right now I think I'm doing something right by them.
Just a "mom" . . . and one that I enjoy showing off to the people in my world. I have never put much stock in degrees (even though I seem to have a boat load of them), they are not hung up in my offices, and I probably could not even tell you where they are. Degrees and titles are not important when they are not grounded in love for yourself and others. As a "mom" you demonstrate such love . . . as a daughter you have demonstrates such love . . . in my eyes and heart that is success. That is the purpose of life . . . to love one another. You do it well.
ReplyDeleteOh friend, you are such a good mama and God has you right where you need to be. You are enough in His eyes as a daughter of Christ, look to Him when you don't feel fulfilled, that it what has been breaking my insecurities. And on another note, I have a degree and the student loans to go with it and would give anything right now to just be able to be a mama. just trusting God that I am in this spot for a reason right now, my time for being a full time mommy will come and it's all for His glory! Love ya girl!
ReplyDeleteYou're a damn good writer and a damn good Mommy. Don't ever allow yourself to believe that either of those things aren't enough. Your girls are not going to care whether you have a degree or not. They are going to appreciate the sacrifices you made and the love you gave. End of story. <3
ReplyDelete