Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Family First.

A few weeks ago we got the news. A TDY was in the husbands very near future. Back to Alabama of all places. Not just for a week...or a month...but a few months. Pretty much leading right up to the birth of our second little girl.

My first reaction was obviously i'll stay here. Our apartment is here, my doctor is here, our family is here...made sense. But as I thought about it longer and longer, I realized the most important person in mine and Harper's life isn't going to be here.


So we are going too. Next week we embark on another adventure to the South. Though it might seem crazy to some, to us it is not. So much can happen in just a few months. Harper changes daily. She is a wonderful child and I believe that a huge part of the way she is, is because of her father's presence. Yes there is Skype, and FaceTime but that isn't the same as "real time". I thought about flying out a few times while he there but that is so very expensive. Not to mention difficult at almost 30 weeks pregnant with a 19 month old. I'm a SAHM and I feel really lucky to be able to join him. I'm perfectly capable of doing my duties anywhere.

So after much discussion, list making, and sleepless nights we arrived at our decision. Though the husband will be very busy while in Alabama he will still be home in the evenings and have weekends off to spend with us. How amazing is it that we get a chance to go back a year later and experience the place where so many memories were made for us? Bama has a special place in my heart. I'm almost surprised at how much I miss it sometimes. It is the place where Harper was born. It is the place that brought some of the most amazing women into my life.  It is the place I got to watch my husband fulfill one of his dreams.

So here we are again. I'm so happy that we get to be there for my husband as he learns to fly yet another model of Blackhawks and continue his education. He is our rock, and we are are his. The moment he got the news I saw the excitement in his face, followed by the sadness of leaving behind us. We really like each other and hate being apart. So I'm glad we are able to join him. Family is everything and if we have the option to be together, why not be together?

I can't wait for weekends at the beach, for warmth and sunshine, for long days outside, and for the constant sound of helicopters flying over our heads. I can't wait to eat at all our favorite southern foods and catch up with friends that are still down there.

So maybe I'm crazy. I don't know. Right now it doesn't feel crazy. It feels like I'm following my heart and doing what is best for our family and what makes us happy. No regrets.

Hope you'll follow along as we embark on a mini southern adventure.

Army Wife life ya'll.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Another move so soon. I know exactly how you feel though. I would probably do the same thing at this point in our lives if my hubby had a months long TDY....thankfully his are usually only a couple weeks. And unfortunately they don't let us follow them to the sand pits....

    Good luck with the move and yeah for moving to places we love!

    ReplyDelete