It is boxes. We put every one in boxes. It is these boxes that cause us to miss out on some really neat people because we decided to devalue their worth just because society has deemed them of lesser value. Boxes make me mad and even I continue to put some people in them. I wish instead of asking people what they do, or where they work, or what they drive, that we would ask them if they have read a good book lately, or what is something that has made them happy, or proud? Wouldn't you walk away from a person gathering more about them if you asked them those questions?
Now that I have a child (soon to be two) I think about my parents often. What they have gone through for us, sacrificed for us, so on and so forth. I know they love all of their children and are proud of us for different reasons. Not all of us went to college. Some of us did. Some of us finished and others of us didn't. But we are so awesome. I love my brothers incredibly because we are so different. I want my parents to know that even though we didn't do things traditionally that we took the best things from them. My mother and father are two of the smartest individuals I know and they are both very highly educated and I think that is awesome. But I never took that from them. What I took away from them is that they are both good people. They are kind. They are helpful. They do not judge people. They are funny and see the good in so many situations. They have a love for life that is amazing. All my life I watched them make a difference in so many peoples lives. It was all the little things they do that amaze me. It is why they continue to impact me and so many other people. I like to think I am just like them in so many ways and I continue to strive to be as amazing in my little families life as they still are in my life.
I guess what I'm getting at is boxes suck. As I grow older I keep learning that some people just can't see beyond them. Luckily I can surround myself with people who do. I made some dumb choices when it came to college and ignored some things I shouldn't have and I'll have to continue to figure it out. But I do know that where I sit today is exactly where I need to be. To some it may not be anything of great accomplishment. But to me it is. I am living my dream and doing what I love. Finishing college is amazing but even if you never did finish, I want you to know what you are doing with your life is amazing too. If you are a doctor, teacher, lawyer, scientist, you are amazing. If you are a working mom you are amazing. If you are a stay at home mom you are amazing. And since there are probably always going to be boxes I just want you all to know you are welcome in mine. Life is a lot less lonely that way. It is amazing what happens when you acknowledge the value of everyone no matter who they are or what they do.
These days I'm living a life of joy, peace, and love. It continues to take a lot of work from within but I'm doing it. I care less and less about what others might think of me as I continue to grow as a person. Maybe that comes with age. I don't know. But I'm doing it and it feels good.
Take that boxes.
Love this post ... Great honesty and insight!!! I also have too many student loans .... So annoying!!!
ReplyDeletewordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com
OMG. I feel you on this. I got married right out of highschool though so couldn't afford college at the time. I'm glad though. I'm about to turn 27 and only now figuring out what I really want to do (besides raise our babies). I hated those questions too. I'm glad you've found your center in people's attempts to put you in a box.
ReplyDeleteMy Wholesome Home
Up until 20-21, I wanted to be an actress. No joke. My interests later changed. I have student loans from my master's degree (which I don't plan on EVER using) and it sucks. The main reason that I went was because a) it was something to do, b) I was interested in the topic, but c) Most of all, I could quit my job making $10 hour (that was what I was making at a call center with two bachelor degrees). I've deferred it every single time and almost at my max times (6). I know I'm paying interest but I don't care. I mean, it is what it is.
ReplyDeleteIt sucks people put people in boxes. Not everyone defines their self worth by their "career." I wrote a few blog posts about that (not defining yourself and people putting people into boxes). It's hard not to care what people think. I had some people always ask me where I was working and what I was doing constantly. It might have came from a good place, but it made me feel very defensive.
People judged me because I didn't use my degree. I knew even half way through my master's degree program, so I just finished it out. I mean, I spent the money so I just decided to finish it. Since going through there, it started me on my journey on what I wanted to do. Even though, I have done stuff during those past two years and back on the track that I want to be, it has led me here. I never was one to have a "traditional" job, so I stared my own business.
http://southernbelle23.blogspot.com/2014/01/stop-defining-yourself.html
http://southernbelle23.blogspot.com/2013/09/whats-next-i-dont-know-and-im-perfectly.html
If people don't like what you do or think you should do more, they should suck it!
this was such a good post to read. i tend to give myself so much grief over the fact that i'm graduating a year later than i was supposed to, or that i haven't accomplished as much as i wanted to, but i totally agree that people should be less hard on themselves and celebrate being in more than one box!
ReplyDeletexoxo, lauren
1sweetfairytale.blogspot.com