Tuesday, May 14, 2013

One of Those Days


I had this panic attack yesterday as I was working through some financial issues with my husband. This "What in the heck am I doing with my life moment?". Should I be doing more? Should I have a degree? But why? Why should I? What is wrong with my life just as it is? Then later this evening we had a visitor. One I consider to be extremely intelligent and highly educated. Only he was experiencing the same "What in the heck am I doing with my life?" moment. So it isn't college. It isn't a degree defining us.

I just want Harper to see who I am. I do not at the moment have a degree. But I have an amazing job and I make enough money and I'm happy. Excited almost every single day I go to my job. I'm content in my role and I'm learning and growing on a daily basis. It is good. I could be working at some dead end job and come home annoyed and not happy with myself. But I chose happiness. I chose a career that interest and excites me and that is where I am today. I'm doing something I love and I like to think because of that I'm the kind of person others want to be around. The kind of person Harper will look up to.

"I'd rather own little and see the world, than own the world and see little of it."

4 comments:

  1. Degrees do not = happiness! It's a piece of paper and for me is totally irrelevant to my career :) I miss retail almost daily, do what you love, love what you do, that's the key!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three degrees (two bachelor degrees and a master's degree). I'm currently not using any of them, and don't really plan to! I like working for myself! Doing what you love, regardless of a degree is what is important. Degrees don't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this moment almost weekly, it seems. I beat myself up a lot for not having my degree. But you? You're doing awesome & I can guarantee that Harper will look up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Degrees don't guarantee anything...except student loans in most cases.

    ReplyDelete