Friday, June 1, 2012

The Pregnancy Week from Hell

31 Weeks.
Health. My health. This is something I don't often think about unless I get really sick. In fact I often take for granted the body's amazing ability to heal itself. It really is an amazing thing.

The pregnancy week from hell was last week. I spent last Wednesday-Sunday in the hospital. Where I slept on a labor and delivery bed the whole entire time. All of this however began about 2 weeks ago at my 28 week appointment. I hope this isn't TMI but I thought I had a UTI (a lovely common pregnancy symptom) so I told my doctor. They then ran my sample and it came back negative. So I thought maybe Harper was just hanging out on my bladder and that is why I had to pee all the time. But about 3 days later I started to get the chills. Every time I get the chills I know what is coming. I know I'm about to get sick. What I didn't know this time is what I had. All I know is I spent Sunday-Wednesday trying to fight a fever at home. I just couldn't get on top of it. And when you are pregnant you can hardly do anything for it but take tylenol. Come Wednesday morning my husband was absolutely freaked out that I wasn't better and we called my doctor. I was told to come into the ER right away.

Once I got there I was poked and prodded and given medicine in an attempt to figure out what was wrong with me. Turns out I did have a UTI which had managed to turn in to a kidney infection. When you are pregnant this is not good. Kidney infections can cause preterm labor. I was immediately brought up to Labor and Delivery where I was told I'd be staying for a day (haha). But once in my room I continued to have a fever. It would go away, and then it would come back.

Just when I started to feel better something else happened. As the pain from the kidney infection went away and new pain started and my fever hit 103. My lungs and my chest hurt so bad. This led to a chest X-ray which helped discover that I had pneumonia. I have never in my life felt sicker. So I spent more than just a day in the hospital because they now had to get me over that.

The scariest part of it all was being pregnant. I was in constant fear that I was harming my baby. I even started contracting at some point, which I didn't even feel I was so sick. Luckily it was nothing. Harper isn't even in the world yet and the nursing staff and doctors loved her. She remained strong and fighting throughout the whole thing, and passed every stress test with flying colors. I have a healthy, ACTIVE baby. Mom on the other was struggling. Oh it was awful.

A week later though I am home cuddled on the couch with my fur babies I am thankful. Thankful God healed me and kept my baby safe. I'm thankful for the amazing staff at the SAMC, and thankful for my amazing husband. I don't know what I would have done with out him. He was by my side the whole time. It wasn't easy for him. I know he was scared. But he remained my rock the entire time. Most important- I feel good. I don't have a fever or an infection anymore. My body healed. It is amazing.

Life is good.


2 comments:

  1. OH my gosh, I'm so glad you're finally okay. I was praying for you all while you posted those twitter updates! How scary! So glad you have a wonderful, strong and healthy little lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So scary! Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete