| Our new normal. |
All day Friday and yesterday we did the endless cycle I mentioned above. Nurse, supplement, pump...nurse, supplement, pump. Even though I was tired I was excited. I was going to get my supply up. I was determined. I have been experiencing good things with the More Milk Plus. I went from pumping barely half and ounce to a minim of 1.5-2 each time I pump and I even pumped 4 oz Saturday morning. For some reason it wasn't good enough for me though. I was still having to give Finley a bottle and that was driving me crazy. Even though the bottles were mostly my milk I hated it.
So then I decided yesterday evening I was going to just exclusively pump. Since I have to give her a bottle anyways I might as well just do it this way and be done with nursing. I attempted to pump every two hours. It seemed to work okay but something just didn't feel right to me. I felt like I was giving up. It wasn't until I got up to pump around 2 this morning that I had a moment. I was on instagram (thank goodness for social media for pumping and nursing) and I stumbled across something that shook me up. Something that really put things into perspective. It made me realize that I had perfectly fine boobs capable of nursing even if it wasn't 100% enough to make her full. It made me realize how lucky I was to have Finley and to get another chance to get the breastfeeding thing down. It made me realize that even though I complain about nursing I really truly love it. I love the time with Finley and I'll only get to do this once with her. I can't just stop nursing and pump. I just can't.
So this morning we are back to the grind--nurse, pump, supplement, nurse, pump, supplement. I'm in good place with it. Amazing the things that can come to you in the wee morning hours. Finley gets mostly breast milk from me all day but there is nothing wrong with having to use a little formula sometimes. She is happy, healthy, and full so I must be doing something right. As for my supply? I'm doing all I can to increase it and I'll continue to try and bring it up. I don't know how long I'll be able to nurse if my supply is not able to keep up with her growing. But I'm going to go as long as I can and you know what? I'm proud of myself. Finley is almost 3 weeks old and to me even making it to 3 weeks is successful.
This morning I'm hopeful and it feels good.
You're doing an amazing job and you're an amazing mother! I made it about three weeks breast feeding (because of pain) and then I went to pumping exclusively. It was so hard and I only made it three months, but that was three months I made it!!
ReplyDeleteI've also read drinking enough water...if you're not getting enough that contributes to low supply. Just another tip :) Good luck!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing awesome! I saw something so heartbreaking on the Birth Without Fear IG last night. Don't look it up, it's too sad. It made me feel so luxky to have my 1 month old.
ReplyDeleteI hope everything works out for you dear. I can't imagine not nursing my children (not that I don't respect women who choose not to) but it's just so wonderful. I could be having the worst day and then I can scoop up Teddy and nurse him and the world stops. Even if it's just for those few seconds when our eyes meet, in that moment I'm all his and he, mine.
ReplyDeleteHave you tried Mothers Milk tea? I have some that I could send you if you were interested. I bought it before he was born, just in case, I didn't need it and I wasn't crazy for the taste. Like black licorice?! If so, you'd love it!
Send me a DM on IG if you want it! Good luck mama!
I will be sending many milk prayers your way! What a great momma you are for doing everything you can to provide for your little one. She is one lucky little lady to have you!!
ReplyDelete