Monday, May 12, 2014

Parenting...I've Got This


It really didn't dawn on me until the of the day yesterday that I have almost been a mother for two years. Two years. I used to beat myself up a lot over parenting. I used to think I wasn't doing a good enough job but I realize just how wrong I am. This past week I started looking at all the things I am doing right as a mother and there are a lot more of those moments.

Motherhood has been so humbling. I have learned so much from it. I feel like I didn't really fully know who I was until I became a mother. I longed to be one my entire life. And now I am. My husband and I have an almost two year old beautiful little girl in our lives that we get to love and grow with daily and it is nothing short of amazing (not to mention another on the way). Sure some of that is her personality but a lot of that has to do with us as parents. I truly believe we are doing a good job.

The biggest thing I have learned in these past couple of years is that babies don't need a lot of things. They don't need a million toys. Or x amount of hours outside daily. They just need parents and people in their lives to make them feel safe and secure. Harper has just that. She has a mother at home with her all day and although her father works during the day or is gone flying for the army he too spends as many moments possible with her as he can. When a child feels safe and secure they feel loved and that is the most amazing gift you can give to your child. Be present.

I have learned that on days you think you have failed as a parent your baby doesn't realize that. They may cry and throw fits and some times you might but at the end of the day you are still superwoman to them and can do no wrong.

I have learned to be more joyful. I laugh more. I dance more. I sing more.

Parenting has taught me to let go of expectations. To never set them on my child. Just love them unconditionally and let them be their own person.

I have learned the importance of "this too shall pass". The baby that won't sleep through the night, or give up the bottle or stop wanting their paci will indeed move on from that phase. If your child is obsessed with Frozen they will move on to another movie. Just laugh about about it. Trust me you will miss the way they used to sing Let It Go at the top of their lungs to anyone and everyone who would listen.

In fact when you are done laughing about that become okay with laughing at yourself as parent. Laugh over the fact that you have said a million times over and over again that you would "never do that" as you are indeed doing that.

I have learned the importance of being you. You aren't other parents and you shouldn't be. You are the only you that your child has. Don't waste your time trying to be some one or something you are not.

Parenting is amazing. It is love and compassion. It is learning to love someone outside of yourself. It is like marriage and family to me. It is having another person in your life that truly matters to you. Loving like that and extending it beyond your family and friends can make for a pretty great person.

It has taught me I'm stronger than ever. Physically and mentally. Who needs sleep?

It has also taught me its okay to ask for help. To admit that you cannot do it all. Take a break. You should never be ashamed to ask for help if you need it.

Becoming a parent is hands down the best thing to ever happen to me. Sure most days I feel a little run down and ragged. But almost two years in I'm confidant I'm doing it right because I am doing th best that I can. I really really like the way my life is going...growing old watching my child grow older. It is pretty unreal.

Happy day after Mother's Day to Me.


3 comments:

  1. Well said, pretty mama!!! You are rocking it!!! Hope you are feeling well!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this, it is so true... motherhood is so unbelievably rewarding and so difficult at times too! Great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post. I feel like I could have written some of these very things myself {especially the part about not being afraid to ask for help}

    ReplyDelete