Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Over Sharing Mom

Yesterday as I was in the public restroom there was a mother a few stalls down changing her toddler. She kept saying, "Really? How did you even do this? There is poop down the front, and down the side! It is everywhere!!" I couldn't help but smile to myself. Haven't we all been there? I could feel her  frustration. In the moment it is so annoying. But I'm sure that her frustration shortly passed after she left the restroom. That is parenting.

I love being a parent. It is so awesome. I'm always telling my husband it is like I joined a club. The Mom club to be exact and I love it. I feel honored. It is the most demanding, rewarding club that I have ever taken part in and I can't get enough of it.

I have found myself coming across some blogs lately where women have ranted about their friends with children and their incessant need to document everything that they do daily on Facebook and Instagram and I cannot help but laugh. I have never felt this way for I have always wanted children but I suppose I do understand them feeling that way. They just aren't at this point in their lives. But why I really laugh is because someday they will be the exact same way. They will bring life into this world or maybe even adopt a child and their lives will be forever changed. They will want to document everything that little does too.

When you become a parent it is just so cool. Life isn't just about you and your husband anymore. It is about this little being you created with your favorite person. That little being grows and changes every day. So yeah I snap a few pictures and maybe document some of the things they are doing on Facebook and my blog because lets face it, it is amazing and ever changing.

Maybe to some I am an over sharer but I guess I can't help it. I'm proud. And I'm not just sharing all the good things. I like to share the imperfect moments, and the hard moments too. Maybe it is because deep down I feel like I'm helping others feel normal and not so alone. Or maybe I do it for myself so I don't feel those things. I honestly don't know.

What I do know is I love this mom life. I am proud of it. Proud of myself because I work damn hard every day to be the best mom I can be and some days it just isn't easy. Through things like Instagram and blogging I have found this wonderful community that likes being a part of the mom club too and I'm so thankful for it. I'm not going to shame myself for documenting my life daily with my child. I don't do it to prove to myself and the world I am an awesome mom. I do it because I'm thankful. I do it because I'm proud. I do it because I like my life and I love my family. I like to scroll back and look through those pictures and remember all the moments of that day, good and bad. It is those moments I share daily for my family, and friends who maybe I don't see on a daily basis. And how amazing is it that I can? So I guess I'll keep over sharing.

I hope that at some point in your life, if it is what you want, that you get to experience in some way, shape, or form, being a parent. When you do I'll probably be right there sharing in your excitement liking your Instagram's and welcoming you to the club. You'll love it. I promise.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! I can't wait to join the Mom club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would NEVER fault anyone for sharing about their children. I may not have kids, but I think it's fun to see baby pictures and laugh at stories. People that have time to complain about that need to get a life.

    ReplyDelete